Monday, August 10, 2015

Update, Week Two

This last week went a little better, probably just because I'm used to things here. It's still such a candyland, though. Is that too negative? It's just kind of this magical, sterile complex where the outside world just can't seem to penetrate. A lot of people like that, I think, but it's not quite for me.

I've definitely gotten along really well with my district and my roommates; both groups of people have been pretty easygoing and positive. My companion, who you wanted to know more about, is named Joshua. His dad's from Germany, and he's the second in his family to go on a mission. He's got a very distinctly different teaching style than me, which is probably for the best. He's very bold and take-charge, whereas I'm very chill and accommodating. He's like Elder Holland, I'm like Bob Ross with a name tag.

Choir practice wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, it went really quickly, and we were in the choir for a devotional given by M. Russel Ballard, which was novel.

I'm heading out to the field tomorrow. Getting on a plane around noonish. I don't know how I feel about it to be honest. It's going to be strange to have to reset almost entirely and start making new habits and learning a new schedule alllll over again. I'm going to stay optimistic.

Also Mom, thank you so much for including cough syrup in my packing. I've been just, like, disgustingly sick these last few days, and it was a lifesaver. Also thanks for that package. Between that puzzle, the raisinets, and all the letters from siblings, it was like Christmas.

Love you!

Ethan

This is my aforementioned companion:


My bed at the MTC, featuring Cabo, my lobster friend [Mom edit: and also featuring the BYU blanket I gave him for Christmas]:


My special color-coded highlighting system. I've been doing a lot of reading since I got here. I've very nearly read all of Alma; I just have three chapters left, which is like 120 pages or so, so I have that to be proud of.


1 comment:

  1. You're going great, Elder. Now comes the real world, where the investigators aren't role-playing companions. Love you. G&G Hiatt

    ReplyDelete