Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Day One!

This is Ethan's mom and I'll be updating this blog throughout Ethan's mission. Most of the words will be Ethan's, but today you get to hear from me.

We spent the week hanging out with family here in Utah and it was wonderful to see and enjoy everyone. The last few days before Ethan left were hard, though, for Ethan and all of us. However, after Ethan was set apart Tuesday night we all felt calmer, more peaceful, and more centered. We spent Wednesday morning packing, visiting family, and saying goodbye, then we piled the immediate family in the Tahoe and took off for Provo. Here's one final photo of us all together at Grandma and Grandpa's house before heading out:



Ethan picked The Slab for lunch -- a funny choice since he doesn't usually like pizza, but as a former Provo-ite, he has insider knowledge about the few pizza places worth a visit. We joked and ate and talked just like a normal day (other than the fact that Ethan was dressed in a dapper blue suit). Then it was time. The long, drawn out goodbyes at the MTC are a thing of the past. Instead, you say your goodbyes before arriving at the curb and only have time for a few quick hugs.

Ethan and the kids, pre-hugging:


Ethan and Dad:

 

Ethan giving Jonas a few words of advice and a prediction. (Jonas tells me he said, "Be nice to Wyatt" and "When I come back you're going to be taaallll.")


The other hugs happened too fast and out of camera range so I didn't capture them. But I DID capture the tender mercy of the afternoon, below. The cute missionary you see handling Ethan's bags is his former roommate, Stephen. Literally 50 or 60 "hosts" (or missionaries currently serving in the MTC) were lined up on the sidewalk, ready to help the incoming missionaries with their bags and show them the ropes. I heard a voice yell, "Elder Hallstrom!" and turned to see Stephen clapping Ethan on the back. Ethan looked thrilled and surprised and relieved all at once. I think right now Stephen is the only other person in the entire MTC who Ethan knows, so the fact that he showed up at that spot on the curb at that moment is a tender mercy in my book. I didn't even have time to exclaim over it, though, because before I knew it, Stephen had whisked Ethan away.


 I did get Ethan to turn and wave. I told him that I got to take a turn and wave photo -- my prerogative as the mama. Happily he obliged.


And then he was off. We piled back into the car and some of us cried. I imagine him tonight in a little bunk bed, sharing a room with three guys he's never met, wondering what the future holds. It's scary, letting him go. But it's also right. He's doing the Lord's work and he (and we) will be blessed.

I'm sure Ethan would love emails or letters. His email address and MTC address are on the sidebar if you feel so inclined. The next post will be from Ethan himself. I can't wait!


3 comments:

  1. Don't be scared! It's exciting! Best of luck to him in the MTC and Yellowstone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're off to a great start, Elder. We'll be following this blog and remembering you in our prayers. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for Elder Hallstrom! Great photos -- and love the roommate showing up curbside. Looking forward to future reports from the field.

    ReplyDelete